The Ballston Lake Fire Department provides a variety of services to our community. We respond to any public safety activity that requires a trained, disciplined force. In addition to fire suppression we rescue people involved in automobile accidents and provide water rescue services in both cold (ice) and warm water. We deal with flooded basements, search for lost people and provide fire safety education to the citizens of our community.
We’re located at 1125 Ballston Lake Rd. (Rt. 146A) in Ballston Lake New York. We protect portions of the Towns of Ballston and Clifton Park. We have forty members at this time, all are volunteers. Our apparatus consists of three engine tankers, a four wheel drive brush truck and an air boat. The Department is funded by property taxes paid to the Ballston Lake Fire District. Our telephone number is 518-399-5152, emergency calls should be placed to 911.
The Ballston Lake Fire Department was formed in 1915 after fires destroyed the farms of Peter Banta and Clark Smith. Citizens banded together and began fighting fires using barrels of water hauled on a small truck. A chemical fire wagon was soon purchased from the Childs Co. for $350 and stored in Eagan’s barn.
The Childs has a forty gallon tank of water that would be mixed with baking soda. A sealed container of sulfuric acid could be dumped into the tank to create the necessary pressure to push the water through a hose. Additional water in milk cans and a ladder were carried on a truck. The department still owns the Childs.
The first firehouse was built in 1918, paid for with funds raised by subscriptions and a “Fireman’s Supper”. This building was moved to Lake Hill Road in 1924 and is currently a private garage.
The Department was incorporated in 1918, and a Fire District was formed in 1924. The department’s first motorized apparatus was a Foamite-Childs Protection Engine purchased in 1926 for $6085.